“These days, there is probably no wine that I am more excited about (well, along with the reds of the northern Rhône) than Beaujolais. I drink it at home, I drink it at restaurants, I push it at RN74. I cannot get enough of it.” – Jordan Mackay / Rajat Parr, Secrets of the Sommelier
Most wine fans fondly remember that one wine that made them think, “Whoa, there's a lot going on here!” And from that moment, they're hooked. They start buying wines from different regions, varieties, and producers. They start asking questions about vineyards, soil, and winemaking practices. Before they know it, they've jumped down the rabbit hole. For me, that wine — my gateway drug — was Cru Beaujolais. At their best, these wines display an enjoyable combination of fruit, minerality, and acidity that can be appreciated by everyone from the novice wine drinker to the seasoned expert.
Knowing my affinity for Beaujolais, my friends over at wine app startup Delectable have invited me to talk about my recent trip to the region and host a tasting next Wednesday, September 19 from 7pm – 9pm. I was able to pick up wines from great producers (Lapierre, Foillard, Sunier, Clos de la Roilette and Descombe), including wines from the 2007-2010 vintages. And here's the kicker: you can win an invite to join in on the fun.
Here's how you can win:
- Download the free Delectable app for iPhone.
- Use Delectable to take a picture of your favorite Cru Beaujolais.
- In the comment section, use the hash tag #sfwineblog.
- Use Delectable to share your wine on Twitter.
- The first three folks to do so will win an invite to the tasting on Wednesday, September 19!
And here's what I'll be pouring on Wednesday (we picked them up at Arlequin Wine Merchant):
- Julien Sunier Regnie 2010
- Clos de la Roilette Fleurie 2010
- Jean Foillard Fleurie 2007
- Descombes Morgon Vielles Vignes 2009
- Jean Foillard Morgon 2008
- Marcel Lapierre Morgon 2010
Hope to see you next week!